Sunday, September 7, 2014

Your Favorite Author Is Probably a Jerkwad



No sooner do I start reading Russian fantasy author Sergei Lukyanenko’s Night Watch than I read that he forbids translation of his novels into Ukrainian because he believes Ukraine should belong to Russia. With Putin having just invaded Ukraine and thousands dying in the conflict (explainer), this leaves a bad taste in my mouth and raises a question: What to do when artists have disagreeable views? Do you keep enjoying their work or do you turn away?

I touched on this before in a post on science fiction author Orson Scott Card’s opposition to gay marriage. The world is full of people uncomfortable with LGBT lifestyles, but an acquaintance’s opinion voiced in the office or at a backyard barbecue is one thing and a public figure spreading hate and spearheading a campaign to limit civil rights is another. When you learn that Orson Scott Card is a homophobe and a paranoid nut in politics, do you go see the movie adaptation of his brilliant novel Ender’s Game?

I’ve been on a Brigitte Bardot kick. First I watched And God Created Woman (1956), directed by Roger Vadim and featuring Bardot as a vivacious young woman trapped in a dull marriage. Then there was Contempt, Jean-Luc Godard’s 1963 masterpiece about a marriage that falls apart. Bardot simmers and sizzles, flounces and fumes, pouts and purrs, and is, in everything she does, enchanting.


One might ask what Card’s or Bardot’s political stances have to do with their art, and the answer is perhaps very little. But then again it could be a lot. This question has long surrounded Richard Wagner. His works revolutionized opera to the extent that for a long time composers and critics felt he had maxed out the art form, that nothing else significant could be done with it.  Wagner’s music goes beyond beautiful to sublime, and yet his anti-Semitism is well known. It was a sticking point with some in his day and even now musicians and philosophers continue to debate how much his views permeate his music.

When the connection between opinion and art isn’t clear, surely the decision of how to react is subjective. While I may not hesitate to voice my views on issues such as the Israel-Palestine conflict (recent post), I have no interest in telling you that since Seth Rogen signed his name to a letter in support of Israel during its recent invasion of Gaza that you shouldn’t laugh at his jokes in movies. I also have no interest in telling others what they can and cannot say.

But whether I lend my support to their views is another matter.

For my part, I swore off anything to do with Orson Scott Card, but when it comes to Bardot, I have already ordered more films from Amazon. Bardot’s films have nothing to do with her opinions and they all came out decades before the issues that spark her objectionable views were pressing. She is now an elderly woman in a proud country where many people are dealing with change (globalization, economic uncertainty, increased immigration and radical jihadism) the way people so often do--which is to say poorly.

So she gets a pass.

I’m still not sure about Lukyanenko. So far, Night Watch hasn’t had much going for it in style, character or vision. The series is based on the premise of two forces of Others--vampires, werewolves, magicians and so forth aligned with either Good or Evil--who have entered into a treaty according to which each polices the other to preserve a balance between Light and Darkness. As Putin solidifies his iron rule, enforces backwards social values, expands Russia’s territory, and imprisons his political opponents, is it relevant that Lukyanenko has taken what is usually a subversive genre and made it about law and order?

I’d like to give the book more of a chance before I make up my mind.

When the connection between artists' views and their art is tenuous, I can understand why someone else might decide other than I do, and I have no problem with that. Healthy discussion and debate is always desirable, but if others will respectfully leave me to my decision, I’ll leave them to theirs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment