Friday, May 2, 2014

How Guilty Is the Author for the Sins of the Text?


Many of the socially aware are too eager to hurl charges of racism. This time it’s indie artist Sky Ferreira’s video for “I Blame Myself” that has attracted attention.
 


The video draws upon stereotypes of black neighborhoods and features the star with a crew of black backup dancers, so criticism was only to be expected. At this point, it’s reflexive and unfolds by rote:

Aaron Parr on Facebook:
“I’m tired of seeing black people used as props.”


Alex Berg on Twitter:
“Sky Ferreira’s new video is a #racist mess. She, white woman, dances in Compton in front of #POC.”


Alison Margo on Facebook:
"Just because racism isn't intentional or blatant doesn't mean it's not racism."


This particular incident is barely a blip on the cultural radar, but such blips are becoming increasingly common. We all heard way too much about Miley Cyrus’s 2013 VMAs performance, and Lily Allen’s video for “Hard Out Here” faced similar criticism. The ideology of social consciousness and its curious lexicon have been gathering steam for decades, but now it has a bigger voice and makes regular appearances on the screens of our computers and phones. Poststructuralist concepts have filtered down into posts by average Joes on the Facebook pages of pop stars.

As previous blog posts will attest, I understand:

“In the post-modern world, most of us are aware that words and images speak more than they appear to at first glance, and this is doubly true for anyone marketing to the masses. Backup dancers are not just backup dancers--how they dance, how they are treated, how they are dressed, their race, their physique, and so on all speak an infinity of meanings.” (The Miley Cyrus Affair)


And this:

“It doesn’t matter what those involved intended (the death of the author in poststructuralism), their products speak for themselves and they speak the language of centuries of degradation, sexualization and commodification of black women. A photograph of a white woman perched glamorously atop a subjugated black woman exhibits, even if unintentionally, reprehensible symbolism.” (Sex, Chairs and Photographs)


However, I find it troubling how acceptable it has become to publicly brand as racist artists who aren’t racist on the inside and never intended anything racist. This is from Sky Ferreira’s defense on Facebook:

“Nothing upsets me more than being called racist because that is one of the most hateful things anyone can be . . . I never have and never will look at any human being as a prop. That's disgusting. It's also an idea that has never crossed my mind . . . I auditioned a bunch of dancers, all races & my dancers were the best ones . . . Comments like "rich little white girl exploiting the black people & the ghetto" . . . My brother is half black. My cousins are black. My family is Latina & Native American. Some of my family is in the video. I wasn't raised in a "white" household . . . Would you feel more at ease if I danced with a bunch [of] blonde white boys at a mall? Should I consciously only cast white dancers for now on? . . . I referenced 90s hip hop videos and Michael Jackson because both of those things inspire me.”


Many of the critics calling Ferreira racist take this defense as genuine, but call her a racist anyway because the content of the video stands on its own and they interpret it as racist. The death of the author is all very well and good, but it is a dangerous thing when the flesh and blood author is alive and well. How guilty is the author for the sins of the text?

I’m reminded of a rationale employed against certain classes of society by the Bolsheviks:

“Individual members of that class might ‘objectively’ be counterrevolutionary conspirators, even if subjectively (that is, in their own minds) they knew nothing of the conspiracy and thought themselves supporters of the revolution.” (The Russian Revolution, Sheila Fitzpatrick)


In other words, innocence was no defense against guilt. Those considered counterrevolutionaries could lose their jobs or be imprisoned or executed. The unwittingly guilty today are subjected to highly public ignominy because while subjectively innocent, they are objectively guilty. There is something insidious about this.

Perhaps the way out of this is to be thorough with application of the death of the author or to not apply it at all. Either the author has disappeared from a work of art, in which case she cannot be blamed for the sins of the work on a poststructural level, or the artist is a racist in her heart of hearts and has expressed an overtly racist opinion through her work. I have no objection to either approach, but most of these controversies involve a mixed approach: You may not be a racist, but your work sort of is, so you are too.

The critics have their point, and Ferreira has hers. I’m more interested in the argument itself than I am in taking sides. In exploring the complexity and ambiguities of this and similar issues, I suggest greater caution by the socially aware when disregarding the accused’s intentions in order to cast stones.
 

6 comments:

  1. It seems that more and more of modern day society is LOOKING for reasons to protest. It truly think that here in the US there is a tendency to transfer our political dissatisfaction to over-interpretation of our entertainment's motives in all things. We also have a tendency to mislabel actions as racist. Racism as a term is being thrown around too liberally, not to mention a complete inability of the masses to grant one ounce of leniency in any direction. Stereotypes are based on experiences and are not racism. I want to emphasize that again, stereotyping is not racism! Racists use stereotyping, but so does everyone. Some people get nervous when in certain neighborhoods, scowl at yard full of junk, fail to answer a door if someone they don't know is wearing a dark suit and knocks....these are all stereotypes. Using only latino dancers because they believe they move better isn't racism for one simple reason, this doesn't show a belief in their racial superiority in all things or hatred of them for being less human, just an irrational opinion.

    I truly believe in the idiom, 'Offense is not given, it is taken'. If you choose to take offense to everything on a personal level, that is on you. It is your choice, and the blame for your outrage can be laid solely on your shoulders.

    (of course there are arguments opposite this belief, but I find them exceptions to the rule not the definition of the rule itself)

    rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
    noun
    1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.


    stereotype (ˈstɛrɪəˌtaɪp, ˈstɪər-)

    — n
    1. a. a method of producing cast-metal printing plates from a mould made from a forme of type matter in papier-mâché or some other material
    b. the plate so made
    2. another word for stereotypy
    3. an idea, trait, convention, etc, that has grown stale through fixed usage
    4. [sociology] a set of inaccurate, simplistic generalizations about a group that allows others to categorize them and treat them accordingly


    ReplyDelete
  2. Stereotypes exist because they are based on a kernel of truth. As the definition indicates, that kernel becomes oversimplified and stale with broad application and inappropriate usage.

    Try to suspend the ridiculousness of this scenario, but suppose I am making a music video. After you stop laughing, let’s consider that the video I’m making is gonna require a heavy emphasis on Native American cultures. My song perhaps is about modern life on a reservation. I don’t live on a reservation but it will be the setting. I want to include elements of traditional Native American dance. I audition dancers, and lo and behold culturally the only dancers that are good enough to make the cut are Native Americans who grew up with the tradition and understand what I’m looking for.

    Where does this leave me? I don’t know who Sky Ferreira is, but it doesn’t matter for the sake of the argument. If her explanation of her video is heartfelt, then I guess it is heartfelt. Let’s go back to my music video. I look Caucasian, so what if I hired all Caucasian dancers? Would I get labeled a racist for excluding Native American dancers from the Native American dance? I won’t belabor the point any more than Sky Ferreira is going to dance at the mall with the Aryan brotherhood because that might somehow make us more comfortable?

    I also believe that it is part of the human condition to have beliefs about people who are different from ourselves. The only authentic experience you have is your own, but that sure as hell does not make you a racist. Racism is a big ugly word and it is applied too freely. Sky Ferreira may have hired the best dancers, but it’s also possible that she fell into the same pit of cultural awkwardness that Miley Cyrus lives in. I think Avril Lavigne’s new video has a very similar problem. Avril chose stiff, manikin-like Asian backup dancers and I think in her case the reasoning is blatant. She is super-popular in Asian countries. She’s pandering. It’s very possible that Sky Ferreira and Miley Cyrus are doing the same thing. Particularly in the case of Miley Cyrus, I look at her work and it is as though she’s begging for validation by trying to make an awkward appeal across the board. She is fighting that little white girl, daughter of a country music star, Disney image so hard, but she’s young, she’s getting bad advice, and she just doesn’t know what she’s doing. I can’t guess if the same is true for Sky Ferreira, but Miley did succeed in doing one thing. She has desensitized us just a little bit more to what we probably ought to find shocking. As a result, you get Every-Day-Joe Facebook user calling Sky Ferreira racist because it has no meaning anymore, and it’s just what you do.

    And one last point, Sky Ferreira, Miley Cyrus, Avril Lavigne … All women. Why aren’t we having this discussion about Robin Thick? Enough was written and rehashed about Blurred Lines, but that piece of crap video was 800,000% more offensive than anything I have seen over the past year. I am continually amazed that women can be so easily called out for objectifying other women. Yes, Robin did keep his female dancers Neapolitan, but the objectification was sickening. Some of the women in the video surpassed being labeled as props, and moved into the realm of furniture. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed in as me, but it published my comment as unknown :( BOO! It's me, Jess.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I have trouble with Bogger or BlogSpot or Google or whatever this is. Sometimes I'm me and sometimes I'm not. I've been doing better recently.

      Delete
  3. Rock on Jess! I didn't want to gripe only about "Racist" being used to easily, I also wanted to make a valid point that everyone stereotypes. We don't bother to recognize the good type cause that may lend credibility to the idea of stereotyping. Everyone gladly jumps on the bandwagon when it comes time for job interviews...."I need to wear a shirt and tie, so they see me as confident, responsible and successful." "Going to a reunion, have to where my military uniform in order to show how patriotic I am"..."I will trust this guy because he has a badge" These kinds of stereotypes are common and in wide use, but the moment a person rolls up the window, when a disheveled person of color walks in their cars direction, they are labeled racist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I'm finally getting some comments on blogs, and great thoughtful ones at that, and work and life went nuts and kept me from replying. Sorry.

    There's so much we could talk about if we could sit down together, but that isn't going to happen. My fault again.

    I think I hear you both making the case that stereotypes are in some way natural, unavoidable, and excusable sometimes. It's a relief to hear that, because too few writers seem willing to admit that. And of course, that doesn't mean some stereotypes aren't way off or really nasty and unforgivable.

    Davey, my favorite thing you wrote is "It truly think that here in the US there is a tendency to transfer our political dissatisfaction to over-interpretation of our entertainment's motives in all things." This deserves more thought...

    Jess, please make a rock video! It's funny you bring up Avril Lavigne. I'm not sure if I'm going to post on that one yet or not. She used Japanese dancers, with a Japanese director, filmed in Japan, basically did the whole thing for her Japanese fans, and made a video very much in the style popular in Japan now, so my response was more positive. Still, one of the points I've been trying to make through these posts is that there is no clear criteria for judging these types of events, so I'm not really making an argument here so much as stating my initial gut reaction. And some things about the video did bother me. The "Hello Kitty" thing was something that dogged my wife and I all the years we lived in California. "Oh, you're from Japan? You must love Hello Kitty!"

    (As a side note, what the hell got into Avril Lavigne? "Skater Boy" was cool, the second album was great in my opinion, but everything I've seen recently...ouch.)

    And your point about Robin Thicke is much appreciated. I'll admit, I can enjoy sexy videos for their sexiness, but when I tried to watch the unrated "Blurred Lines" video, I was disgusted and couldn't watch to the end. It was offensive. (And I see Pharrell has been styling himself a feminist...) And when Miley Cyrus caught a ton of flack for the VMAs performance, Robin Thicke even tried to distance himself from it as if he had no idea, and the media largely ignored him.

    Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete