Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Pre-Raphaelites and the Apostate I Have Become—Human Drama (2)


(continued from "The Lady of Shalott" )

The works of the exhibit “Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Avant-Garde” were arranged in categories. One sentence in the commentary at the beginning of the religion section jumped out at me:


“To the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, the Bible was a treasure house of human drama in which to seek not theological but literary and poetic meaning.”


This struck me as a refreshing way to read the Bible. I know ways to read the Bible. You can view every jot and tittle as literal truth, absolute and eternal. You can figure the Bible is all true somehow--if not literally, then metaphorically. You can mix and match as suits you. You can roll up your sleeves for the historical-critical method. You can ignore the Old Testament for the New and look for moral instruction: “What would Jesus do?” You can mythologize it. Or demythologize it. Really, you can do as you please, but I get a little weary of all that.

So how about just read it like a story?

I’ll admit, the Bible soured for me when I realized the idea on which it was founded and the assertion it was designed to promote--the existence of God--was a fantasy. Nonetheless, there are some deep characters there, some fine dramatic action, and plenty of literary merit. As the years pass, certain stories from the Bible will come to me, and instead of those stories shining light on my experiences, my experiences shed light on the stories. I think, “Ah, this is the point of the story!”

The Bible can, for all its uselessness as a textbook of facts, provide insight into the human spirit--our emotions, our travails, our moral dilemmas--and do so in a profound way as a work of art. The way Anna Karenina does. Or The Satanic Verses. Or DOA: Dead or Alive. We all get something out of stories even when we know they are fiction.

I suppose it encourages me to think that such eminent artists and thinkers as the Pre-Raphaelites, kindred spirits to a certain extent, could have the clarity of vision and boldness of spirit to approach the Bible this way over a hundred years ago in Christian and Victorian England. It’s an approach that affords a kind of truth, just not the kind that will make me go to church.

I am, after all, an apostate.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is the way I view the Bible. I have for a few decades now. I always broke up the new testament like I would a Reader's Digest. Many Novellas written by different authors and took each of the books in the New Testament as a work by themselves. Sort of like a parallel timeline of events. Each author writing about their story and their view of events. It made the work more enjoyable for me, as a work of fiction/fable more than a historical/philosophical read. The fact that some of the tragedies seem Shakespearean and some 'Mother Goose' like tended to lead me away from the religious bent that others take, even during my formative years. I never took any religious book to be literal fact. (I don't even take newspapers and blogs that way)
    The synopsis of this comment though is: I agree with John. John is a sage and should be worshiped. Though, he shouldn't be worshiped more than me.....*hehe*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, and for the kind words. I ran across an article today in which Darren Aronofsky speaks much the same way about the story of Noah:

    "It's wrong when you talk about the Noah story to talk about it in that type of believer-nonbeliever way because I think it's one of humanity's oldest stories," he says. "It belongs not just in the Judeo-Christian-Islamic tradition. Everyone on the planet knows the Noah story."

    (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/21/darren-aronofsky-noah_n_5008204.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment)

    ReplyDelete